Traffic. Oh gosh. You hear stories about the nightmares of
holiday traffic but until you’ve done it, you have no clue. On my way home
today, I was taking my time to pack and get ready thinking that no matter when
I leave there will be a bit of traffic no matter where I go. A LITTLE. This is
where the nightmare got me. It got me in New York City, then in Connecticut
every time there was a highway merge (which there were a lot of), then in
Massachusetts by every city you can imagine. The first hour of traffic I sat
and thought, “this isn’t too bad. I don’t know what everyone hates it so much.”
Then by the time I got to the middle of Connecticut, that should have taken me
2 hours, I had been stopped by another traffic jam in my forth hour of being in
the car and ready to cry. Traffic makes the 6-hour trip from New York to Durham
more than inconvenient. After 8 and half hours in the car, I pulled up to the
Gables and just sat, and waited. I sat because there was no more traffic. No
more 2 MPH driving for an hour at a time. No more watching the GPS as it went
up in time rather than down as you hit each and every traffic trouble. Most
importantly, no more insane thoughts in my head that had been drawn up and
fueled since the start of my lonely, long drive I had ahead of me. Let’s just
say, I’m done with driving for a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment